California employment and victim’s rights lawyer Genie Harrison is widely recognized as a fierce advocate for victims of all forms of sexual assault,
sexual abuse, employment harassment, discrimination, and retaliation.
Genie brings personal attention to each case and fights hard for justice.
She has the respect of the legal community and has earned her place at the top of her field, and she brings her exacting standards to each case.
Genie represents victims because she believes that you deserve justice.
About Genie Harrison
Genie Harrison / Lead Trial Attorney
The results Genie Harrison has obtained speak for themselves – both in terms of compensation obtained for her clients and in terms of the systemic change she has created to better the lives of thousands who will never know her name, but whose lives are better as a result of her work.
Genie has been acknowledged with rare distinction: she has been named to the Southern California Super Lawyers List in Plaintiff’s Employment litigation for ten years in a row (2009-2018), for which only 5% of all attorneys in the state qualify in any single year. For three years in a row, 2016-2018, Genie Harrison has been listed on the list of Top 10 Super Lawyers in Southern California and is currently the second highest ranked lawyer on that list.
Genie is one of only two women lawyers in the state of California named by the Daily Journal as one of the state’s Top Labor & Employment lawyers for seven years (2009-2013, 2016-2017). She has been recognized by Best Lawyers in America, as has her law firm, for her work in Plaintiff’s Employment Litigation.
Genie gives of her time and expertise generously each year teaching litigation and trial skills to other lawyers through her volunteer work on boards and committees of various trial lawyer organizations, and through publishing articles locally and nationally.
Genie Harrison serves in the following capacity for various organizations:
- Currently the 2nd Vice President of the Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles’ (CAALA) Executive Committee. CAALA is the nation’s largest local association of plaintiffs’ trial attorneys. In 2021, Ms. Harrison will be President of CAALA – she will be the fifth female president of the organization in it’s 70thAnniversary year. She has served on the Board of Governors since 2008 and has co-chaired then chaired CAALA’s Education Committee and its Annual Las Vegas Convention for three years.
- From 2008 through 2017, Ms. Harrison has served as a member of the Los Angeles County Bar Labor & Employment Section Executive Committee (LACBA).
- Honorary member of the Board of Trial Lawyers Charities.
Genie Harrison is an outstanding advocate for plaintiffs in employment and civil rights cases. She does this work because she believes that you deserve justice.
CLICK HERE > for videos of Genie Harrison.
Genie Harrison In Recent News
More About Genie Harrison
Attorneys Genie Harrison and Amber Phillips founded the Genie Harrison Law firm in 2013 to represent victims of wrongful termination, sexual harassment, discrimination, retaliation, and other employee rights violations.
- California, 1992
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 1995
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- Santa Clara University School of Law, Santa Clara, CA, J.D. Doctor of Jurisprudence, 1992
- Elmhurst College, Elmhurst, Illinois,
B.S., International Business, 1989
Genie Harrison’s Awards and Honors
In recognition of her accomplishments, Ms. Harrison has received or been nominated for all of the following:
Genie Harrison Named to the 2018 Super Lawyers TOP 10 LIST for the third straight year.
Genie Harrison is honored to be selected again to the Top 10 List of Super Lawyers in Southern California. This is Genie’s 3rd straight year on the Top 10 List where she is also being recognized on the Top 50 Women’s List. For 2018, Genie is ranked #2 on the list out of hundreds of Super Lawyers honored. For 2017, she was ranked #3 on the list. This is Ms. Harrison’s 10th straight year as a Super Lawyer.
CLICK HERE > to access the 2018 Southern California Super Lawyers Magazine.
Daily Journal’s List of Top Labor & Employment Lawyers
Ms. Harrison has been named by the Daily Journal as one of the Top Labor & Employment Lawyers in California for 2017. She is one of only two women in the entire state named to this list for five years in a row. In 2008 she was named by the Daily Journal as one of the Top 75 Women Litigators in California.
Top 100 Trial Lawyers in California by The American Trial Lawyers Association
The National Trial Lawyers is a professional organization composed of the premier trial lawyers from across the country who exemplify superior qualifications as civil plaintiff or criminal defense trial lawyers.
The Genie Harrison Law Firm is Listed in The Best Law Firms of America for 2018
The Genie Harrison Law Firm was recently listed in The Best Law Firms in America 2018 in the field of Employment Law — Employment Law, Individuals, Litigation – Labor & Employment. This is the fourth straight year of being included on this prestigious list of the best law firms in America. CLICK HERE FOR BEST LAWYERS© FIRM PROFILE >
Listed in The Best Lawyers of America for 2012 – 2018
Genie Harrison was was recently selected by her peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2018 in the field of Employment Law — Employment Law, Individuals, Litigation – Labor & Employment. Ms. Harrison has been selected to this list from 2012-2018. CLICK HERE FOR BEST LAWYERS PROFILE >
Nominated Trial Lawyer of the Year by the Consumer Attorneys of California Women’s Caucus (2011)
Genie Harrison is an honorary board member of the Trial Lawyers’ Charities (TLC) of Los Angeles.
CLICK HERE for more information on TLC and the charitable works they do in the community.
Genie Harrison has a 10.0 AVVO Rating.
CLICK HERE > for Ms. Harrison’s profile page at www.avvo.com.
Member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum and the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
Established in 1993, the Million Dollar Advocates Forum (which includes the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum) is one of the most prestigious groups of trial lawyers in the United States. Fewer than 1% of U.S. lawyers are members.
Nominated for the CAALA Trial Lawyer of the Year Award
Tennie Pierce v. City of Los Angeles. The incident shook the foundations of the Los Angeles Fire Department. Tennie Pierce, a 19-year veteran of the LAFD, was the victim of racial harassment and retaliation, including being fed dog food mixed with his spaghetti. Tennie’s resulting lawsuit, along with several other high-profile cases, exposed the abusive and discriminatory atmosphere of the LAFD. As a result of these suits, an audit was performed by the city’s controller. It found that 87% of African Americans and 80% of women were aware of or had experienced some form of discrimination while at the department. As a result of the lawsuit and the high-profile focus upon racial discrimination in the Department, embattled LAFD Chief, William Bamattre, resigned. Douglas L. Barry was appointed as acting Chief, the first African-American in the Department’s history to assume the job. After much publicity, Tennie’s case was settled. In 2008, Genie Harrison was nominated for the CAALA Trial Lawyer of the Year Award.
(Click on each association listed below for additional information)
- Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles, (CAALA), Executive Committee 2nd Vice President (2018)
- California Women’s Law Center, (CWLC) Board Member
- California Employment Lawyers, (CELA)
- Consumer Attorneys of California, (CAOC)
- National Employment Lawyers Association, (NELA)
- The National Trial Lawyers Association
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Los Angeles Trial Lawyers’ Charities
- The College of Labor & Employment Lawyers, Fellow
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
Genie Harrison is currently the 2nd Vice President of the Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles’ (CAALA) Executive Committee, the nations largest local association of plaintiff’s attorneys. In 2021, Ms. Harrison will be the fifth female president of CAALA in its 70th Anniversary year.
CAALA 2018 Executive Committee members Minh Nguyen, Doug Silverstein, Genie Harrison, Jeff Rudman, Sean McCann and Mike Arias being sworn in at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel in Beverly Hills.
Magazine & News Articles
Ms. Harrison frequently offers her expertise to other attorneys and the media. Here is a partial list of articles by and about Genie Harrison.
- 01/11 — AAJ article — “Will Consumer and Employment Class Actions Survive SCOTUS?”
- 02/12 — The Advocate – “On Being the Best Trial Lawyer One Can Be”
- 07/15 — The Advocate- “Empowering and Inspiring Your Inner Trial Lawyer”
- 06/17 — “When Your Boss Isn’t Decent Enough to Say, ‘You’re Fired’” by Genie Harrison, Genie Harrison’s Analysis of FBI Director James Comey’s Firing for Law360.com. CLICK HERE > to read the article.
- 06/17 — “Uber won’t name and shame the alleged harassers it fired, and it doesn’t have to” by Tracey Lien, LA Times CLICK HERE TO READ THE STORY AT LATIMES.COM >
- 06/17 — “Comey Hearing Parallels What Fired Employees Face in Court” by Genie Harrison for Law360.com. CLICK HERE > to read the article.
- 08/17 — “California Employer Questions After Charlottesville” by Genie Harrison for Law 360. CLICK HERE > to read the article.
- 09/17 — “The Truth About Rolling Back Obama-Era Title IX Guidelines” by Genie Harrison for Law 360. CLICK HERE > to read the article.
- 01/18 — The Advocate — “Using Closing Argument To Support Your ‘Plaintiff Jurors’ in Deliberation. CLICK HERE > to read the article.
- 04/18 — “Attorney Privilege Is Alive And Well” by Genie Harrison for Law 360 – CLICK HERE > to read the article.
Super Lawyers Magazine featured a moving and inspiring story on Genie Harrison titled The Dignity Deposit: The Personal harassment cases that made an employment attorney our of Genie Harrison.
Seminars and Speaking Events
Ms. Harrison frequently teaches and lends her expertise to other attorneys at events and seminars throughout California. Here is a partial list of seminars and speaking events by Genie Harrison.
- 10/05 – CELA’s Annual Conference, Presenter – “Employment Law 101 – Discovery”
- 8/07 (est.) — Tom Girardi’s “Champions of Justice” Radio Program
- 9/07 — CELA’s Annual Conference, Presenter – “Making the Pain Real: Emotional Distress Damages”
- 11/07 – CAOC Annual Convention – “I’d Rather Be a Hammer Than a Nail ‘Get Up, Stand Up, Stand Up for Your Rights!’” – “Who Let the Dogs Out” and What Happened After They Fed Alpo to the Fire Fighter
- 5/08 – LACBA’s Labor & Employment Section Annual Retreat, Presenter – “Elimination of Bias – Wishful Thinking or Real Progress”
- 5/08 – CAALA’s Voir Dire Methods for the Plaintiff Lawyer Seminar, Presenter – “Voir Dire in Employment Cases”
- 11/08 – CAOC’s Annual Convention, Presenter – “Identifying Actionable Sexual Harassment Claims”
- 5/09 – The 2009 Labor & Employment Law Section Annual Retreat, Moderator of “Judicial Perspectives” Panel
- 8/09– The 23rdAnnual Jack Daniels/Los Angeles ABOTA Trial School, Presenter – “Insider’s Perspective”
- 9/09 — CAALA’s Annual Las Vegas Convention, Presenter – “Developments in Employment Class Actions and Wage & Hour Claims”
- 10/09 — CELA’s Annual Conference – Special Skills Seminar – Mock Trial Opening Statement Demonstration
- 4/10 – CAALA’s Voir Dire by the Masters
- 9/10 – Co-Chair of CAALA’s Annual Convention
- 3/11 – NELA’s Trial Advocacy for the Plaintiff’s Employment Lawyer program. “Using Your iPad to Try the Case.”
- 9/11 – Co-Chair of CAALA’s Annual Convention – Moderator of three panels (Demonstrative Evidence & Technology; Law & Motion; Commercial Torts)
- 3/12 – 15thAnnual Trial Lawyer Skills for the New Attorney 2012, Presenter – “What the New Lawyer Needs to Know About Employment Cases”
- 3/12 – 32ndAnnual LACBA Labor & Employment Symposium, Presenter – “Vexatious Litigation: Tackling the Tough Topics in Discovery Disputes”
- 4/12 – CAALA Webinar, Moderator – “Taking Depositions of Psychological Experts”
- 9/12 – CAALA’s Annual Convention – Presenter — “Investigating Employment Cases Before Discovery”
- 10/12 –CELA’s Annual Conference, Presenter – Special Skills Seminar on Focus Groups
- 11/12 – Presenter – CAOC’s Annual Conference – “Law & Motion Basics”
- 2/13 – Co-Chair & Moderator – CAALA & ASCDC – New Court Procedures Seminar
- 5/13 – LACBA Labor & Employment Section Annual Retreat, Moderator – “Ethics in Employment Law Cases”
- 6/13 – Presenter – BHBA “Proving and Defending Emotional Distress Damages in Employment Litigation”
- 9/13 – Co-Chair of CAALA’s Annual Convention & Moderator “Science of Persuasion” Panel
- 2/14 – LACBA Labor & Employment Section Annual Symposium — Speaker & Moderator “Working With Transgender Clients and Co-Workers”
- 3/14 – CAALA’s Annual Trial Skills for the New Attorney, Presenter — “The Trial Part 1”
- 4/14 – CAALA’s Inaugural Plaintiffs Trial Academy, Teacher — “Trial Preparation, Strategy & Tactics”
- 9/14 – CAALA 2014 Annual Conference — Master Speakers – Speaker “Empowering and Inspiring Your Inner Trial Lawyer” — sole woman trial lawyer on panel with Browne Greene, Jack Denove, Carl Douglas, Carney Shegerian and Arash Homampour (800+ audience members);
- 10/14 – CELA Annual Conference — Speaker — “Obtaining Larger Damage Awards”
- 2/15 – CAALA-Trial Technology Seminar — “Using PowerPoint Presentations in Trial”
- 3/15 – CAALA”s Annual Trial Skills for the New Attorney — Presenter “Summary Judgments”
- 5/15 – CAALA’s Second Annual Plaintiffs Trial Academy — Presenter — “Plaintiff’s Case in Chief”
- 9/15 – CAALA 2015 Annual Conference — Speaker: “The California Family Rights Act & Pregnancy Disability Leave Law” Moderator: Master Speaker Session “The Road to Trial Success From The Masters”
- 1/16 – Pepperdine Law School, “Employment Law Dispute Resolution Basics”
- 3/9/16 – LACBA Labor & Employment Law Section – Annual Symposium – Speaker — Technology in Trial
- 5/10/16 – CAALA’s “How to Start, Build & Run Your Practice” Roundtable Discussion
- 5/25/16 – CELA’s Diversity Leadership Summit – Keynote Speaker
- 6/8/16 – CAALA’s Third Annual Plaintiffs Trial Academy – Presenter- “Defendant’s Case in Chief”
- 9/3/16 – CAALA 2016 Annual Conference – Speaker: “Preparing Plaintiffs for Direct and Cross Examination”
- 11/12/16 – CAOC’s Annual Convention – Speaker: “Gender Discrimination in the Law”
- 3/17 — CAALA’s Annual Trial Skills for the New Attorney – Speaker “The Trial Part II – Procedures, Presenting Evidence, Preparing Witnesses, Direct and Cross Examination”
- 4/6/17 – Association of Workplace Investigators – Speaker “Conversation With” Series
- 6/5/17 – CAALA’s Fourth Annual Plaintiffs Trial Academy – Presenter — “Plaintiff’s Case in Chief”
- 9/2/17 – CAALA’s 2017 Annual Conference – Speaker: “Closing Argument Demonstrations”
- 11/2/17 — CAOC Annual Conference — Speaker: “For Women Jedis: Women In The Courtroom”
Genie Harrison speaking with the best lawyers in California on the Masters Panel at a CAALA Conference in Las Vegas.
Genie Harrison was honored to speak at the 2017 Consumer Attorneys of California (CAOC) conference alongside Amy Fisch Solomon and Sonia Chopra on CAOC’s Annual Conference panel entitled “For Women Jedis: Women In The Courtroom.” Genie gave an inspiring and educational speech about her keys to winning at trial. Her entertaining presentation incorporated storytelling elements from Game of Thrones — sorry for the spoilers — and inspired with a cool mashup of Daenerys Targaryen clips and her “Faith in Myself” speech.
Click on the YouTube video above so you can be inspired, too.
Los Angeles employment lawyer Genie Harrison teaching at the Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles (CAALA) Plaintiff Trial Academy.